. .

| 

legouithameur

: 1146
: 54
: 25/02/2008

:     25, 2008 10:27 pm

Advertisement is abbreviated ad, not add.
In actual fact is an unnecessarily complicated way of saying actually.
If the word following begins with a vowel sound, the word you want is an: Have an apple, Adam. If the word following begins with a consonant, but begins with a vowel sound, you still need an: An X-ray will show whether there's a worm in it. It is nonstandard and often considered sloppy speech to utter an uh sound in such cases.
When the following word definitely begins with a consonant sound, you need a: A snake told me apples enhance mental abilities.
AM stands for the Latin phrase Ante Meridiem which means before noonand PM stands for Post Meridiem : after noon. Although digital clocks routinely label noon 12:00 PM you should avoid this expression not only because it is incorrect, but because many people will imagine you are talking about midnight instead. The same goes for 12:00 AM. Just say or write noon or midnight when you mean those precise times.
It is now rare to see periods placed after these abbreviations: A.M. , but in formal writing it is still preferable to capitalize them, though the lower-case am and pm are now so popular they are not likely to get you into trouble.
Occasionally computer programs encourage you to write AM and PM without a space before them, but others will misread your data if you omit the space. The nonstandard habit of omitting the space is spreading rapidly, and should be avoided in formal writing.
If you offer me Godiva chocolates I will gladly accept themexcept for the candied violet ones. Just remember that the X in except excludes thingsthey tend to stand out, be different. In contrast, just look at those two cozy Cs snuggling up together. Very accepting. And be careful; when typing except it often comes out expect.

1 1

:
..  ::   ::   ::  -