Read the text below, then answer the questions that follow :
About one hundred years ago many educated people learned and spoke French when they met people from other countries. Today most people speak English when they meet foreigners. It has become the new international language. There are more people who speak English as a second language than people who speak English as a first language. Why is this?
There are many reasons why English has become so popular. One of them is that English has become the language of business. Another important reason is that popular American culture (like movies, music, and McDonald's) has quickly spread throughout the world. It has brought its language with it.
Is it good that English has spread to all parts of the world so quickly? I don't know. It's important to have a language that the people of the earth have in common. Our world has become very global and we need to communicate with one another. On the other hand, English is a fairly complicated language to learn and it brings its culture with it. Do we really need that?
Scientists have already tried to create an artificial language that isn't too difficult and doesn't include any one group's culture. It is called Esperanto. But it hasn't become popular. But maybe the popularity of English won't last that long either. Who knows? There are more people in the world who speak Chinese than any other language. Maybe someday Chinese will be the new international language.
Part A : Comprehension/Interpretation :
1. Give a title to this text.
2. Answer these questions according to the text :
1. What was the world language 100 years ago?
2. Which group is larger- people who speak English as a first language or people who speak English as a second language?
3. What are two reasons English has become an international language today?
4. What are two reasons English isn't a good international language?
5. What is Esperanto?
6. What might the future international language be?
3. Match the words with their definitions :
1. to spread a. not real
2. in common b. talk
3. communicate c. to go everywhere
4. complicated d. the same
5. artificial e. difficult
Part B : Text Exploration :
1. What do the underlined words in the text refer to ?
2. Find the questions whose answers are underlined :
a- About one hundred years ago, many educated people learned and spoke French when they met people from other countries.
b- It is called Esperanto.
c- Someday Chinese will be the new international language.
3. Complete sentence B so that it means the same as sentence A :
a. He worked hard so he passed his Baccaleaureat.
a. You must work hard or you will fail in your exam.
a. Do we really need that ?
b. Is …………………….?
a. I do not know. The writer said.
b- The writer said that …………………..
4. Classify these verbs according to the pronunciation of their final ed :
educated learned complicated included called helped
5. Spot the mistake, then correct it :
a- This desk is heavyer than this table.
b- Ahmed is the goodest student in Philosophy in our class.
التوقيع لقوي ثامر